I don’t know what it is but lately I have been craving baked goods. The idea of coffee and scones, or pie, or cookies just sounds amazing all the time. Problem is we’re still in a pandemic, and not able to just pick-up whatever I’m craving all the time, and if I’m being honest I’m way too lazy to do all that baking. So, what to do?
I used to make microwave mug-cakes all the time in high school, I think it had something to do with all of those hormones leading to late night cravings but I hadn’t made one in years until the other week. And now I’ve remembered how fun, easy, and honestly tasty these kinds of recipes can be.
So I pulled out my recipe book and sort of combined a couple different recipes I’ve used, and I think I may have made the best microwave mug brownie yet!
Perfect for sharing, or to enjoy just on your own. A warm soft rich chocolatey brownie in minutes!
What you’ll need:
A large microwave safe mug.
A fork (works better than a spoon for mixing).
A small bowl.
2 tbspn of Melted Butter
3 tbspn of White Sugar
2 tbspn of Cocoa Powder
2 tbspn of Cold Water
4 tbspn of All Purpose Flour
1 tspn Vanilla Extract
1 tbspn of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Chopped Chocolate (preferably dark)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into the mug (sugar, flour, cocoa). Mix with fork until there are not lumps.
- In the bowl, melt the butter until liquid (approx. 30 secs in the microwave).
- Add in the melted butter from the bowl and vanilla into the mug, and mix with the fork. Add in the cold water, and mix again making sure there are no lumps.
- Once everything is combined, add the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate on top.
- Microwave for 1 min – 1 min 30 s on high, checking at the 1 minute mark. A toothpick when inserted should come out basically clean when it is ready, be careful not to overheat and burn.
- Let cool before eating, it will be very hot at first. Enjoy!
This is the kind of recipe you can make basically any time as you likely already have these ingredients in your cupboard. It is quick and so satisfying, this recipe is fun for a special treat after dinner to share with a friend or significant other. Also a fun activity with kids – no oven needed!
Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!